Nominations for the 2025 are closed.
The NANPA Mission Award recognizes outstanding efforts or accomplishment(s) by one of our members. This award exemplifies what NANPA is really all about, and the recipient should epitomize NANPA’s principles in accordance with NANPA’s mission statement.
Nominees may include members who have used or are using their photography to further NANPA’s mission:
- NANPA promotes the art and science of nature photography as a medium of communication, nature appreciation, and environmental protection.
- NANPA provides information, education, inspiration and opportunity for all persons interested in nature photography.
- NANPA fosters excellence and ethical conduct in all aspects of our endeavors and especially encourages responsible photography in the wild.
When evaluating the nominee’s activities in promoting nature photography, the following elements will be considered:
- Promotion of nature photography;
- Giving back to community;
- Public awareness; and
- Exemplifies the NANPA Mission
- NANPA member
- Values are consistent with the NANPA Mission Statement
Selection Criteria Definitions
Promotion of Nature Photography
The nominee has demonstrated a long-standing and effective dedication to the promotion of nature photography and has an exceptional body of work that has contributed to those efforts. (Recognition of “conservation photography” is not the primary purpose of this award.)
Giving Back to Community
The nominee demonstrates a proactive and positive commitment to reaching out to his/her local/state/regional/national nature photography community, for the community’s betterment, through voluntary mentoring, education and training of aspiring nature photographers.
The nominee’s nature photography has had a demonstrated, positive impact upon the public’s increased awareness of nature’s beauty and wonders.
Exemplifies the NANPA Mission
The tenets of the NANPA Mission Statement are embodied within the nominee’s methodologies and practices.
2021: Sean Fitzgerald
2019: Kathy Adams Clark
2017: Suzi Eszterhas and Jerry Monkman
2015: No award
2013: Carlton Ward
2011: Jerry Bauer
2010: Cristina Mittermeier
2009: Michael Forsberg
2008: Amy Gulick
2007: Tim Gallagher and Bobby Harrison
2006: Ray Pfortner
2005: Pat Wadecki
2004: Karen Hollingsworth
2003: Bill Silliker
2002: George Lepp
2001: Stephen Maka
2000: Jim Clark
1999: Patricio Robles Gill
1998: Jerry Bowman and Francine Butler
1997: Mark J. Lukes
The NANPA Mission award has been presented biennially since 2011 to coincide with NANPA’s Nature Photography Summit.